General Billing FAQ


How do I make a payment online?

Online payments can be made by clicking “Make a Payment” when logged into Self-Service in the Finances tab or by going to

Begin by clicking the "Make a Payment" button on the page.  Clicking this button will take you to our secured payment site.  You will need your Student ID number (same as Account Number on the statements, ex. 000123456), last name, and bank account information. You will receive an auto-generated email receipt for the payment.


How do I change a choice I made during pre-registration?

Registration preferences may be changed by completing a Registration Change Form.

NOTE: Registration preference changes for housing, meals, or student insurance may only be made up through the add/drop period for each semester. Any changes made after to this are subject to Student Accounts approval and pro-ration of charges.


How do I change my billing address?

  1. Log on to your Self-Service Account
  2. Click My Profile
  3. Under my profile, use the “Manage Addresses” feature to change your active home or billing address.


Why is there a charge for medical insurance on my bill?

All students are required to be covered by medical/accident insurance, whether it is through a plan contracted through TMUS or their own. An insurance premium will be charged to your account unless you complete an approved waiver through the waiver website and mail a copy of the front and backside of your insurance card to the Health Center (TMU) or to Academic Records (TMS).

If you were already charged for the TMUS insurance premium, but have personal insurance and wish to waive your premium, you may do so by completing the waiver online.  If you are approved, the charge will be removed.  This can be done up to the end of add/drop period.

The policy provided through TMUS covers the student from August 1st of the current year through July 31st of the following year (FALL premium), or January 1st through July 31st (SPRING only premium). All questions about the specific provisions of the plan should be directed to the plan provider.

Information on the plan is available on the TMU Health Center website.


How do I view my Student Account on Self-Service?

  1. Log on to your Self-Service Account
  2. Click the “Balance” option
  3. The site will default to a summary of the most current term. To view a different term, use the drop down on the left hand side called “Period.”
  4. You may choose one of the following viewing options:
        Detail by Charges/ Credits: This view provides the details of all transactions marked for the period selected as either “charges” or “credits”. Typical charges include tuition, housing, meals, and fees. Typical credits include financial aid applied, payments received, or reversals of fees.
        Detail by Summary Type: This view breaks the charges and credits into their respective summary types, such as Tuition, Additional Fees, or Financial Aid. This allows you to look at particular categories, such as how many payments were made for the period.
        Balance Summary: This view summarizes all of the transactions viewed in the “Detail by Summary Type” view into single lines, showing the net total of each category. This is also the default view.

A Note On "Balance From Other Periods": This line shows any balance due (positive) or credit balance (negative) from other terms. This balance may include payments intended for the term being viewed, but applied to a different semester in our system. This may be due to not having a term attached to the payment, or the timing of the receipt of the payment. Because TMCS does not bill on a strict “per semester” basis, this should not cause you any concern as long as you are current on your payments. Should you have any questions, please contact the Student Accounts Office.


What are my payment options?

Traditional Undergraduate, Seminary, and Credentialing Students

FULL PAY - Students will have the entire balance on their account due by July 10 for the Fall semester and December 10 for the Spring semester. If you register after the first bill is mailed, your payment will be due the 10th of the following month.

MONTHLY PAYMENT PLAN - Students who select the 5 month payment option will have a payment plan fee charged to their account and will make 5 monthly payments each semester (July-November for Fall semester, December-April for Spring semester). Payments are due on the 10th of each month according to the schedules below:


Due Date

Payments Remaining

Payment Amount

July 10th


20% of Remaining Balance

August 10th


25% of Remaining Balance

September 10th


33% of Remaining Balance

October 10th


50% of Remaining Balance

November 10th


100% of Remaining Balance



Due Date

Payments Remaining

Payment Amount

December 10th


20% of Remaining Balance

January 10th


25% of Remaining Balance

February 10th


33% of Remaining Balance

March 10th


50% of Remaining Balance

April 10th


100% of Remaining Balance


Note:  Students who register late will have fewer payments.  The total balance due will be divided by the number of payments that are remaining. This payment schedule is based on registration before the first billing (June 20th for the Fall and November 20th for the Spring). If you register after these dates, you will pay in 4 months rather than 5.

Students who register for Winterim classes will have the cost of the class rolled into their Spring bill.

Students who register for Post-Session classes must pay in full by the first day of class.


Why was I charged a late fee?

A late fee will be assessed to the account if the full payment amount due is not received by the dates listed above. A partial payment or payment less than the amount due will still be assessed a late fee.


Why isn’t my financial aid posted to my account?

Financial aid includes institutional scholarships, federal and state financial aid, and federal and private loans.  Financial aid is processed by the Office of Financial Aid and is awarded and applied according to applicable laws and regulations.  If you believe you should have aid awarded to your account but do not see it listed, please do the following:

  1. Login on Self-Service and check your Financial Aid status under the Finances tab.  Missing paperwork may result in a delay of the application of financial aid funds or the removal of funds previously credited to the student account. Please review this screen to see if you have missing documents.
  2. If this screen does not list the aid you expected, or if all documents are complete and aid is still not applied to your account, please contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information.


Can I use my flex bucks next semester?

Yes and no! Unused flex bucks from the Fall semester WILL roll over to the Spring semester. However, unused flex bucks from the Spring semester WILL NOT carry over to the following academic year.  Please plan your flex bucks usage and purchases accordingly.


I have a credit balance on my student account.  What can I do with it?

If you have a credit balance on your student account (excess of credits over charges), you may do any of the following:

  1. Leave the credit balance on your account for future semester charges.
    Note:  We are required by the Department of Education to refund you a credit balance created by an excess of Federal Student Aid over applicable charges. The refunds will be automatically sent to the student address on file or to campus mail.  You are not required to request a refund in this case.
  2. Request a refund check be cut from your account. You may email us at, call our office at 661.362.2212, or stop by in person. Please note that we are unable to process refund check requests until the add/drop period is over for the current semester. If you are a work study student, you may have further restrictions on the amount available to refund.


How much refund will I get if I drop a class?

Refunds are based upon the week that the official withdrawal form, signed by the Registrar and the appropriate Dean, is presented to the Student Accounts Office, NOT on the time a student ceases to attend classes.  A student withdrawing from school without consultation or consent of an appropriate administrator will not be entitled to any refund.  The percentage of tuition refunded is based on actual tuition cost charged to the student’s account.


Traditional Undergraduate, Seminary, Master of Arts, and Credential:

No Attendance 100%
During first week 100%
During second week 100%
During third week 75%
During fourth week 60%
During fifth week 45%
During sixth week 30%
During seventh week 15%
During eighth week 5%
During ninth week 0%

Post-Session / Winterim

100% Refundable if dropped on or prior to first day of class.  No refund if dropped later than 1st day of class.

*Refund schedules subject to change.  Please refer to your Student Handbook for the most recent information.


Room and board will be prorated on a weekly basis for traditional programs. There will be no room and board refund for Post-Session or Winterim after the first day of classes.


Course fees, lab fees, and individual music lesson fees are fully refundable if the student drops the course during the first two weeks of class (add/drop period).  After this point, they become non-refundable.


Undergraduate students may enroll in online courses offered within the fall or spring term up to one week after the start of the course and drop with a full refund within the first week. There are no partial refunds allowed after the first week. A Traditional Undergraduate student may withdraw (and receive a “W”) the 2nd through the 6th week of the course.


Beside tuition, room, and board, what other charges might I see on my bill?


Fees are determined by course enrollment.  Many courses have additional fees that help to offset the cost of course or lab materials; these are determined by the academic department and are listed on the course information during registration.


Depending on the program, various student activity, technology, or library fees may be included as mandatory fees for the program.   These will be clearly defined and included in the information provided on cost of attendance.


Fines may be assessed for items such as overdue library books, broken equipment, dorm room damages, or campus security violations.  These fines will be communicated directly to the student by the department assessing the fine, and an opportunity provided for the student to pay directly.  If the student is non-responsive or gives permission, the department may choose to transfer these fines to the student account for payment.

Questions about these fines should be directed to the department responsible for assessing the fines, as listed below.




Overdue or Missing Book


College: 661-362-2272  |  Seminary: 800-CALL-TMS

Parking / Security Violation

Campus Security

Dorm Damages

Student Life


Failure to Check Out of Dorm

Student Life


NSF Check Fee

Student Accounts