It is advised that you periodically delete old messages from your mailbox. There is a 50 GB quota for each faculty or staff mailbox. If you exceed that quota, you will not be able to send or receive messages.
Here are a few steps you should take to clean up your mailbox:
1. Regularly delete old and/or unwanted Inbox messages.
2. Copy large email attachments that you want to save to your hard drive and delete them from your Inbox or other folder.
3. Delete unwanted messages in your "Sent Items" and "Junk E-mail" folders.
4. Remember to empty your "Deleted Items" folder after you finish your mailbox cleanup, or messages will not be actually deleted.
5. It is recommended that you use a Gmail, Yahoo, or an email account from your ISP for personal e-mail use. Personal pictures, graphics, and music files can use up your mail quota quickly.