International FAQs

Where is The Master’s University located?

  • TMU is located in Southern California, in suburban Santa Clarita, about 30 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

How much does it cost to be a TMU Graduate student?

  • The total annual estimate for an international student to study residentially at TMU is $18,160. The individual costs within this include: Tuition ($8,000), Medical Insurance ($1,160), Books ($1,000), and Room/Board/Miscellaneous Living expenses ($8,400).

I will be bringing dependents (spouse and/or children) with me. How can I estimate additional costs?

  • We suggest that you include a minimum of $3500 per dependent for each year.

Can my spouse work while I attend school? Can my spouse or children take classes?

  • If your spouse is here on an F-2 visa (Dependent of an F-1), then he or she cannot work. A spouse also cannot take classes for credit, either full-time or part-time. The only exception for a spouse taking a class would be for recreational purposes, not receiving any credit. Children of F-1 students are allowed to attend school full-time only if in elementary or secondary programs (kindergarten – 12th grade).

What types of financial aid are available?

  • The financial aid available to graduate student is very limited, as the price of tuition already reflects our commitment to make Christ-centered education more widely available to our students. While no federal aid is available for internationals, some students may qualify for a Ministry Matching grant of up to $500.

Can you tell me how much financial aid will be available to me?

  • We are not able to offer financial aid award estimates to individuals until after they have applied, been admitted to the university, and completed their financial aid paperwork. For further financial aid questions, please contact the Graduate Financial Aid Counselor, Ryan Wethern (

What kind of visa do I need to study in the United States?

  • All international students are admitted to programs of study under F-1 visas. Once an international student receives his or her acceptance letter and financial aid award package, an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility may be obtained with the assistance of our Designated School Official (DSO). The I-20 can then be used to apply for an F-1 visa as a U.S. embassy or consulate. Of course, you as an individual are responsible for obtaining and maintaining a valid passport from your home country.
  • Before an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued, the United States Department of State government requires that each international student be able to document his or her ability to afford an education at The Master’s University. Once you have received your financial aid package, you will be asked to submit documentation regarding the remainder of needed funds. This documentation can come from you the student, your family, or any number of sponsors. Each person must fill out, sign, and return the appropriate affidavit of support (see below) with a bank statement or letter from a bank official verifying the availability of funds. Again, we require these documents before we can begin to prepare your I-20, the document that will allow you to apply for an F-1 visa at an American consulate or embassy.
  • General information about applying for a student visa can be found on the U.S. Government’s “Study in the States” website here.
  • For further questions regarding visas, the I-20, etc, please contact our International Representative on our campus, the Designated School Official (DSO), at

Can I work while taking classes?

  • International students are limited to working 20 hours per week or less, and can work on campus only. Some of our international students have chosen to work in the cafeteria or the Biblical Studies department while attending their program. Spaces for on-campus jobs are highly limited.

Can I work when class is not in session?

  • Yes. There are no restrictions on employment hours anytime class is not in session. An F-1 student can work up to 40 hours per week on or off campus.

Is there on-campus housing available?

  • There is not on-campus housing offered to graduate students during the Fall and Spring terms. However, housing is available during the summer intensive class sessions. The cost for room and meals per week is $495.

Do I have to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam?

  • Yes. Unless you are from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or England, The Master’s University requires that graduate students be able to pass the TOEFL with a score of 100 or better (maximum score available is 120). This is the threshold that we have established as an indicator of a student’s potential for success in this rigorous academic program. We understand that a degree at The Master’s University is a significant investment of time and financial resources, and desire that each student be able to receive the benefits of their investment.

Who should I contact with further questions?

  • For questions regarding the graduate degree, educational requirements, application process, or courses, please contact Greg Gifford, the Director of Master of Arts, at or +1-800-568-6248, ext. 2644.
  • For questions regarding visas, I-20 forms, etc., please contact our International Representative, the Designated School Official, at or +1-800-568-6248, ext. 2249.
  • For questions regarding financial aid, please contact Ryan Wethern, Graduate Financial Aid Counselor, at, or +1-800-568-6248, ext. 2292.